Do you love finding hidden but timely stories and perspectives off the beaten path? You’d be responsible for both persistent reporting and regular contributions to our weekly newsletter. The ideal candidate is tuned in to the news cycle and part of the daily conversation. The ability to write quickly, accurately and with clarity on a tight deadline is paramount. Must love: breaking news scoops and finding angles our audience needs.
- Writing inside stories and breaking news stories on tight deadlines with clarity and accuracy
- Working with the newsletter editor to help with our weekly newsletter needs
- Maintaining a schedule that allows for both quick-turn stories and the ability to work on longer-term projects with other editors and writers
- 1+ years of experience writing breaking news stories, preferably on social justice/change related topics
- Experience with Google Trends, Twitter, Facebook, Crowdtangle and other applications that monitor trends
- Proficiency in GSuite and content management systems, preferably WordPress
*There is no pay for this position. Essential Stories Project is a not for profit organization. All team members are passionate, skilled professionals who volunteer their time. All work is done remotely.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To learn more about us, visit our youtube channel:
Visit our Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/EssentialStoriesProj
Visit our website: https://essential-stories.com