Do you have dozens of alerts sent to your phone? Are you a newshound who sees stories through a gender-inclusive/anti-racist lens? Do you long to tell major stories that include silver linings, calls to action and are solution oriented?and Essential Stories wants to work with you! The ESP Breaking News Editor will assign, edit and frequently write the stories that drive the day, finding the most compelling gender-inclusive/anti-racist angle on inside stories that correspond with the biggest national headlines.
The ideal candidate has terrific judgement, strong experience writing and editing political stories, and the ability to quickly turn breaking news. This is a player-coach role for a person who has a cooperative spirit, loves breaking news and scoops.
- Assigning, writing and editing breaking news stories
- Managing editorial workflow and process of stories
- Working with other writers and editors on various editorial projects
- 3+ years in a journalism, with at least one year experience editing breaking news stories
- Understanding of Google Trends, Twitter, Facebook, CrowdTangle and other tools for finding trending stories
- Experience with content management systems, particularly WordPress, a plus
*There is no pay for this position. Essential Stories Project is a not for profit organization. All team members are passionate, skilled professionals who volunteer their time. All work is done remotely.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To learn more about us, visit our youtube channel:
Visit our Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/EssentialStoriesProj
Visit our website: https://essential-stories.com